MABA Team of the Year Rules - 2013
MABA 2013 Team Of the Year rules
- Team scores shall be the five event tally of the sanctioning body point system for top five finishes of MABA sanctioned contests and other sanctioning bodies as determined by the MABA BoD within the Mid Atlantic BBQ Association States that consist of the primary 4 meat categories (Chicken, Pork Ribs, Pork & Beef Brisket)
- Only open meat contests will award MABA ToY points. KCBS Competitor series, SAM’s contests and any other invitational or restricted entry events will not award ToY points regardless of their physical location
- Current Sanctioning bodies approved for MABA ToY for 2013
- Points for Overall Event Rankings
1st place = 10 points
2nd place = 9 points
3rd place = 8 points
4th place = 7 points
5th place = 6 points
6th Place = 5 points
7th place = 4 points
8th place = 3 points
9th place = 2 points
10th place = 1 points
- Point bonus multiplier
If the event has:
1-24 teams – 1x points
25-49 teams - 2x points
50 + teams - 3x points
- MABA Cup event - 3x points regardless of # of teams
- MABA ToY points will be awarded in the following categories:
- A competition year is defined as a calendar year from January 1st through December 31st.
- Recognition of TOY standings will be by team names attached to a chief cook and not by individual member's names. MABA team names must be affiliated with designated chief cook in the MABA current membership database. The database is created from information listed on membership applications and/or annual renewals. The Chief cook DOES NOT have to be present at an event in order for their team to accrue TOY points.
- TOY points are only awarded to teams with the current chief cook being a MABA member in good standing. A team must be affiliated in the database with an active member by 9:00am of the day turn in’s are judged to accrue TOY points from that event. Teams cannot accrue points during any lapsed membership period. Teams can start to accrue TOY points again upon renewal of membership status.
If one or more teammates are current MABA members but there is no team affiliation documented in the membership database, then their team cannot accrue points no matter how well they have competed. This will not be adjusted retroactively.
MABA members may cook on more than one team throughout the course of a season. It is the responsibility of a noted team that places in the TOY standings to determine their teammates when representing MABA in any national competition, demonstration or exposition.
Only valid teams that have earned the top TOY standings will be officially recognized in writing by the MABA board of Directors for representing MABA in any national events or promotions. Any recognition declared or made without the written consent of the MABA Board of Directors will result in that team’s name, and any MABA member documented to be affiliated with that team, shall be banned from any MABA TOY standings for one year.
- Teams may not accrue TOY points for multiple events on the same contest date. A Contest date is determined by the first day that turn in’s are judged. If it is determined that a team has accrued points from multiple events on the same contest date all points accrued on those dates shall be forfeit and a penalty of 50 (fifty) ToY points overall and across all categories or the team’s total points accrued (whichever is less) shall be assessed. A second violation of this rule within the same competition year will result in a 2 year suspension from MABA ToY of the team, chief cook and any team members who willingly participated.
- Tie Breaker: In the event of a tie the following tie breaking procedure will be used.
- 1st tie breaker – The team with the greater number of 1st place finishes in that category
- 2nd tie breaker – The team with the greater number of 2nd place finishes in that category
- 3rd tie breaker - The team with the greater number of 3rd place finishes in that category
- If no resolution after the above tie breakers a coin flip will determine the outcome.
2013 MABA State Cup Rules
The MABA Board of Directors shall select one event in each of the MABA affiliated states as a venue for the MABA State Cup Award. The event must be a four category KCBS style BBQ contest and be sanctioned by MABA, or other recognized sanctioning body approved by the MABA board. The board may select to change the State Cup venues from one year to the next depending on the event organizers and the MABA Board of Directors.
State Cup Events for 2013:
- Virginia - Que & Cruz - Lousia
- Maryland - Bel Air BBQ Bash – Bel Air
- North Carolina - TBD
- New Jersey - TBD Que by the Sea – Seaside Heights
- Pennsylvania - Keystone Classic – Harrisburg
- New York – TBD
- North Carolina - TBD
There must be a minimum of 20 current MABA member teams in a specific state for MABA to award a state cup. If there are less than 20 current MABA member teams in a state, the Board of Directors may vote to over-rule this requirement, but this must be done and advertised prior to the beginning of the competition season. In the event that there are not sufficient teams in a member State the teams in that State shall have the option of choosing and being eligible for one MABA Cup event in another adjoining state. This choice will be in effect for that competition year and may be revisited at the beginning of the next calendar year.
The MABA Board of Directors must announce which events are MABA State Cup events prior to the first event of the year in all of the MABA affiliated states.
A competition year shall be defined as January 1st thru December 31st.
A team is eligible to win a state cup if they are native to that event state. Teams must be MABA members in good standings prior to one hour after the Cook's meeting and expiring no earlier than the day after the event awards.
Teams are identified as MABA member teams by their membership information in the database, documented from their application or renewal.
In order to be eligible, The BBQ team information (team name & designated chief cook) must be filled out in the member's profile. The team's state affiliation is determined by the residence of it's chief cook. In the event that the chief cook relocates, the state affiliation will change. In the event that the chief cook changes, the state affiliation will change to the chief cook's home state the following competition year. In any event, no chief cook or team may be awarded more than one State cup per competition year.
The native team with the highest overall placing shall be declared the MABA State Cup Winner for that state, for that year. Teams do not have to be a grand champion to win the State Cup Award. MABA State Cup is awarded based solely on contest placement order, and is not based on any point system, current or future. MABA State Cup Award has no bearing on MABA Team Of The Year Award.
Winning teams shall be awarded a trophy and a cash prize; other prizes may be awarded as well.
In the case of event cancellation caused by weather, lack of participation or other unforeseen act of God or nature, MABA State Cup will be moved to another event within that state, at the sole discretion of the Board, pursuant to availability of an event within said state. If no event is or can be selected that meets any of the above criteria for selection, there will be no MABA State Cup awarded for that state for that year.