MABA 2014 Team Of the Year rules
1. Team scores shall be the five event tally of the sanctioning body point system for top five finishes of MABA sanctioned contests and other sanctioning bodies as determined by the MABA BoD within the Mid Atlantic BBQ Association States that consist of the primary 4 meat categories (Chicken, Pork Ribs, Pork & Beef Brisket)
2. Only open meat contests will award MABA ToY points. KCBS Competitor series, SAM’s contests and any other invitational or restricted entry events will not award ToY points regardless of their physical location
3. Current Sanctioning bodies approved for MABA ToY for 2014
4. Points for Overall Event Rankings
1st place = 125 points
2nd place = 100 points
3rd place = 80 points
4th place = 70 points
5th place = 60 points
6th Place = 50 points
7th place = 45 points
8th place = 40 points
9th place = 35 points
10th place = 30 points
Point bonus multiplier
Take the total number of teams at the event, divide is by 2 then express it as a percentage + 1
ie: a 50 team event; 50 / 2 = 25 / 100 = .25 +1 = 1.25 or a 25% points bonus. Points will be carried out to 4 decimal places. (.0000)
MABA Cup event - 40% points regardless of # of teams
5. MABA ToY points will be awarded in the following categories:
6. A competition year is defined as a calendar year from January 1st through December 31st.
7. Recognition of TOY standings will be by team names attached to a chief cook and not by individual member's names. MABA team names must be affiliated with designated chief cook in the MABA current membership database. The database is created from information listed on membership applications and/or annual renewals. The Chief cook DOES NOT have to be present at an event in order for their team to accrue TOY points.
TOY points are only awarded to teams with current chief cook MABA member in good standing. A team must have be affiliated in the database with an active member by 9:00am of the day turn in’s are judged to accrue TOY points from that event. Teams cannot accrue points during any lapsed membership period. Teams can start to accrue TOY points again upon renewal of membership status.
If one or more teammates are current MABA members but there is no team affiliation documented in the membership database, then their team cannot accrue points no matter how well they have competed. This will not be adjusted retroactively.
MABA members may cook on more than one team throughout the course of a season. It is the responsibility of a noted team that places in the TOY standings to determine their teammates when representing MABA in any national competition, demonstration or exposition.
Only valid teams that have earned the top TOY standings will be officially recognized in writing by the MABA board of Directors for representing MABA in any national events or promotions. Any recognition declared or made without the written consent of the MABA Board of Directors will result in that team’s name, and any MABA member documented to be affiliated with that team, shall be banned from any MABA TOY standings for one year.
8. Teams may not accrue TOY points for multiple events on the same contest date. A Contest date is determined by the first day that turn in’s are judged. If it is determined that a team has accrued points from multiple events on the same contest date all points accrued on those dates shall be forfeit and a penalty of 50 (fifty) ToY points overall and across all categories or the team’s total points accrued (whichever is less) shall be assessed. A second violation of this rule within the same competition year will result in a 2 year suspension from MABA ToY of the team, chief cook and any team members who willingly participated.
9. Tie Breaker: In the event of a tie the following tie breaking procedure will be used.
a. 1st tie breaker – The team with the greater number of 1st place finishes in that category
b. 2nd tie breaker – The team with the greater number of 2nd place finishes in that category
c. 3rd tie breaker - The team with the greater number of 3rd place finishes in that category
d. If no resolution after the above tie breakers a coin flip will determine the outcome.